The benefits of an E-2 Visa
The following are the major benefits you get when your E-2 visa application is successful:
- Live in the US: The E-2 visa lets you live in the United States with members of your immediate family. This includes your spouse and your children under the age of 21.
- Work in the US: Since the E-2 visa is essentially for you to start and manage a business in the United States, it follows that you can work in the U.S. Your spouse will also get a work permit he/she can use to work for any employer in the US.
- Social Security: By getting an E-2 visa, you and your spouse will be able to get social security coverage.
- Public Education: Your children will be able to access free public education form pre-school to high school.
- College: When your children graduate from high school, they can attend any college in the United States without having to apply for a student visa.
- Driver’s License: With an E-2 visa, you can easily apply for a driver’s license in your state of residence.
Requirements for an E-2 Visa
Before you qualify for an E-2 visa, there are some major requirements you need to fulfil.
- Investment: To qualify for an E-2 visa, you need to have an investment in a new business or invest in an existing business. The investment also has to be a substantial one. Although there are no official figures for determining if an investment is substantial, it should be reasonable enough to make the proposed business viable.
- Job Creation: The investment needs to create employment for U.S workers. The investment should create at least 1 to 3 US jobs.
- Nationality: The only people eligible for an E-2 visa are nationals of treaty countries. These are countries that have a treaty of friendship and commerce with the United States.
- The Nature of the investment: The investment has to be one that is active. This means that you have to personally manage and run the business for it to be viable. This excludes passive investment like stocks, keeping money in a bank account, and other similar passive sources of investment.
The E-2 Visa Application Process
The application process for an E-2 visa requires submitting an application and carrying out an interview at the U.S consulate in your country. Our law firm will be able to help you do this through the following processes.
- Creating a Document Checklist: After hiring our law firm, an immigration attorney will come up with a list of documents you need to successfully apply for an E-2 visa.
- Application: After preparing your documents, then we will help you file your application.
- Interview with the US Consulate: After filing the application, the final step is an interview at the US consulate in your country. Before the interview, one of our immigration attorneys will arrange an appointment with you to prepare you for the interview.
- Duration and Renewal of an E-2 Visa: The duration for an E-2 visa can range from 2 to 5 years. You can also renew it indefinitely into the future.